Simple changes can bring big results. This SEO checklist will help you on your way to the top.
Nearly every small business has and needs a website but many fail to do an SEO analysis to ensure that they have the minimum necessary search engine optimization elements before launching. This SEO checklist will help you to review the most important items for SEO and can serve as a free SEO tool to your company. Reviewing this website checklist on both new and existing websites can help you understand how Google and Bing crawl and index you site.
It is important to understand that this SEO checklist will not guarantee that you are ranked at the top of a Google or Bing search but it serves as a good website analysis to see where you stand on your progression to the top spot. Other SEO checks are available through both paid and free website audit tools which can provide more detailed website reviews.
The 10 Point SEO Checklist
- Google Key Word Planner: Understanding your customer and the key words used to search for your website is critical for your website. Using Google’s Key Word Planner can provide the insight that you need to understand the volume of people that are searching different terms. Understanding these terms can help you boost your ranking and get you on your way to scoring high on your search result audit.
- Page load speed can be found on most website audit reports and is key to getting your page crawled by Google and Bing more frequently. Increasing the speed will provide your users and the search engines with an improved experience
- Meta data is critical for SEO. Verifying that you have the correct tags and key words in your title and meta description are still important even through the meta description is not crawled by the search engines. The title and meta description are what people see when they search your targeted keywords.
- Mobile friendly sites are essential in today’s age of technology. A Free SEO analysis can be performed to verify how your pages will load on different mobile devices. These tools often perform website content checkers to verify that each element can be sized appropriately to fit the various mobile devices on the market.
- Verifying links with anchor text is a great SEO check. Verify that you link to creditable websites that in turn may choose to link to your website. Using strategic anchor text will help you to score higher when search engines evaluate each page. External links to your page should not be purchased because this can result in penalties from search engines.
- Content is king in an SEO report. Without quality content, those who find your website will not be satisfied with what it provides. Verifying that you have quality content without duplication will give you confidence that your users will have a positive experience on your site. An SEO checklist without this point may help you get ranked periodically but including content in the checklist will provide you with longer lasting results.
- Photos with alt tags boost the visual aspects as well as the overall feel of a site. Strategically placing your photos is critical for the user’s eye but search engines do not analyze the photos .
Alt tags are an important part of the website audit because search engines can read them. They also provide information to the visually impaired which may visit your site.
- URL’s that are short and descriptive are attractive to both the search engines and to your users. This can be difficult to change in existing website audits but it is well worth its while. Chose a domain that is relevant and helps attract traffic to your site. Sub-domains should also be descriptive and help your users to understand what they are viewing
- Spelling and grammar must be correct along with a reading level that is appropriate for your users. This is overlooked by an SEO audit tool because it does not perform spell checking and does not know your intended audience. Search engines, however, can read very well and use demographics as a key indicator of what to display.
- Installing Google Web Analytics can provide a lot of value to understand your web metrics and should not be left off of any SEO checklist. Web analytics will help you and google to understand your traffic and will provide you with information that can help you to further target your audience and the users that will most benefit from your site.
Although this SEO checklist is not comprehensive, it will provide a good basis for getting your SEO audit up and rolling. Search Engine Optimization is and ever-changing atmosphere which is influenced by many factors. Staying up to date with the latest changes in search algorithms and applying the fundamentals can help your website get found and stay popular.